Wednesday, January 20, 2010

First day back!

This morning I was supposed to have a recitation for my
Anthropology class, but it was canceled since we haven't
really done anything in class yet. It's so strange: I don't have
to be anywhere until 2.

Yesterday was the first day of classes for the semester. I started
with "Human Society and Culture" aka Intro to Anthropology. Searching for the
entrance to the building, I bumped into Adiel- formerly a Stern
business student- who informed me that he's switching majors and
starting Anthro. We ended up having class together, and I have to say
that it's nice to have a friend to sit with in a class of 130. Yikes! The
professor said himself, "Any smaller class you can find will be a better class
than this one." Shame there aren't any smaller Intro to Anthro classes, or
any taught by him (I've heard pretty good things.) At least he was honest.
I'm excited regardless. The texts and syllabus look really interesting, and he
requires us to do fieldwork projects. I'm not very good at work that requires
putting myself out there and approaching strangers for interviews, but I'm
looking forward to the experience.

After Anthro, I went to "Education as a Social Institution" which is part of the
teacher core. The first thing the professor said? "Now I'm sure you are all aware
that this class requires 15 hours classroom observation in a New York school."
What?! Again, I'm a little nervous but very excited to see how this plays out.
The class is supposed to look at the education system from a sociological standpoint
and to compare the American education system with others abroad. Jealous, Cass?
I found a familiar face in this class too; she was in my educational theater class, and
I was always a little intimidated by the power she exudes... We aren't exactly friends
but I love being nearby to hear her reactions and thoughts during lectures.

That class finished up around noon-thirty, so I met up with Miss Hillary- who I've
missed something terrible- for a walk. We strolled around the Meatpacking District,
explored the Chelsea Market, picked up some bread and sat in High Line park to enjoy
it as we caught up. These are the moments when I know I love New York.



We worked on our to-do list for the semester. At some point, we will make a
meat dinner. We will also go gallery-hopping in SoHo.

I then met up with Rhoen and his friend Shizuyo for dinner. It was great to
see him again, and I loved meeting Shizuyo. Rhoen has a gift for finding
wonderful people. Even though Hillary and I didn't get up to visit him over
break, it sounds like he had a good time.

Finally 7pm rolled around and I went off to my last class. This one is going to
be tricky. I'm the only freshman in the class. I know this because we went around
the room and gave our name/year/major. After a chorus of juniors and seniors
who- all except for one linguistics major- are early childhood education students,
it was my turn. There goes my cover. We need classroom observation hours for
this class as well, but we also need to collect writing samples from a focus child who
we will write a case study on. I've done a case study before, but am not student teaching
at the moment and am wondering where I will find this child... Hmmm...

After class I wrote up a resume and cover letter for an internship, sent a couple important
emails, visited Julio, had tea with Miguel, and went to bed. Ta da.

No comments:

Post a Comment