Friday, February 4, 2011

Sound of Silence (and cars outside)

Greetings from Berlin! I'm starting a new semester and could not be more excited.

So my room is huge and beautiful. With limited internet access (I have a monthly limit of 5G), no SIM card yet, no class-work yet, and no idea which rooms in this huge complex my new friends live in, I’ve been spending a lot of time being alone and enjoying the space. It’s kindof lonely, but I know that soon each night will be filled with homework or friends or both. Once everyone has working phones and has exchanged numbers, the fact that it gets dark by 5 won’t keep me from exploring the city. I just don't know enough of the neighborhood to be confidant walking alone after dark.

In the meantime, I’ve been attempting to manage my solitude gracefully. Sure, I did a dance when it finally hit me that this whole quiet space is mine to work and sleep and cook in. Otherwise, I’ve been trying to listen to German radio. It’s somewhat difficult to find songs that are in German. I keep finding stations that play English, Turkish, and French music…nice but not helpful. I also have a television in my room. As much as I hate TV, I sometimes turn it on to music videos just for the noise. German top 100 currently includes more German music than the radio does. I can’t pull up any of the videos here on YouTube, but here’s a quick sampling:

Unheilig “Winter”

Culcha Candela “Berlin City Girl”

Milk and Sugar feat. Vaya Con Dos “Hey (Nah Neh Nah)”

Of course, there is still English music scattered in between. Rhianna is so colorful in her “What’s My Name” video! And I’m pretty sure all of Europe is obsessed with Katy Perry. Better than nothing though.

I’ve been playing a lot with the Byki (Transparent Language) Learn German software I downloaded back home, and I’m hoping that if I work hard enough at this I can pick up enough language to be conversational next time someone approaches me in a store. At least it’s closer to English than Czech! Makes it a tad bit easier.

We had our first day of orientation today. The academic center is located in an old brewery complex alongside a grocery store, 4 clubs, a music store, a travel agency and a movie theater. The neighborhood we live in has stations for all the main public transit lines (metros and buses). One of these days, I’ll get out while it’s still light so I can take some pictures to share. I think I’m really going to like it here.

I also did part 1 of my ‘moving-in-to-a-new-kitchen’ shopping. I ought to just have a list that I use each time I move someplace new. Between that and the one month transit pass, residency permit/visa cost, and housing deposit (and the SIM card that I have yet to buy), I’ve feeling a little financially anxious. Guess it’s a good thing I haven’t found anyone to go out with yet. Make those euros last a little longer…

I kindof wish I could show my sisters the bright yellow metro, and I know Cass would have loved to be part of the conversation my RA and I had today about special education. Such thoughts only threaten to get heavy when I’m home for the evening. Otherwise, I’ve met some wonderful and interesting people. I just don’t know how to contact them after orientation. Yet. In the meantime, guess I’ll write another application essay. Or something.

PS There was one good English song on the music channel: Adele “Rolling in the Deep.” Just saying you may want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment