Friday, October 28, 2011

"Girl, stand up straight like the woman you are!" -Manana



In and of itself, the school day wasn’t anything unusual. But I’m curious to see what comes of it. My first monthly report was due today. I filled it in and emailed it from school because I don’t currently have internet at home. As always with forms, I found I difficult to check “yes or no,” because the questions asked never seem to be the ones I want asked. The first question, though, asked about lesson-planning. I said frankly that my co-teacher doesn’t plan…but that she also doesn’t have books for many of the classes so how could she plan? I sent the form over a break and then went outside to play with the kids. They taught me Georgian hand games and their version of “ninja.” I taught them “London Bridge.” When I went back inside though, my co-teacher looked up and informed me that she had written lesson plans. Then she pulled out a book and showed me pages with graphs written all in Georgian.
I guess she got a phone call (though she didn’t say). Ugh…that makes me wish I had lied on the form. If she’s serious about writing plans, I’ll have to spend another month trying to convince her to let me teach now and again. But while I worry to myself off-line, I should also mention a related side-note. On the form, there were four options offered per question and I had to check which one most closely matched my situation. Interestingly, the supplied “best-case scenario” for teaching style was not team teaching or co-operative teaching or any such thing. It was that the Georgian teacher does most of the teaching while the volunteer does warm-ups and speaking exercises. Just interesting…
After school, I was walking home with the teachers when they told me we were stopping in at one of our student’s houses because his grandfather had passed away. The boy was nowhere to be seen, but we walked into a big room where three women in black were sitting on a couch. The poor dead man was laid out in the middle of the room; we walked a circle around him and then were on our  way again with hardly a “bodishi” whispered.
Then the school’s music teacher took me with her. She’s the one who introduced me to that boy at the folk concert, and she was convinced that he was still in Oni. She’s friends with his grandmother, and so we went to his grandmother’s house. The whole time, she kept telling me how beautiful his eyes and his nose were. She said, “See, you love him” a couple of times, ignoring my insistences that I really am quite happy single. *Sigh* Georgian mothers.
As I thought, the boy had already left for London. So Manana took me to her house for lunch (which we usually eat around 5 pm here). We listened to classical music, she invited a French-speaking friend over to speak to me (though I couldn’t answer), she fried eggs and sliced persimmons and offered me cigarettes and chocolate as we sat under pictures of fishnet-stocking-ed women. It was all rather hilarious. Then she gave me gifts—a pair of purple panties and a couple of roses from her garden—and walked me home…so that she could walk me past her son’s work and introduce us. Oh the persistence!
Eka came home from Tbilisi today, so once I got home we discussed our Christmas plans. “Georgian Christmas” isn’t December 24th…so we’re going to Italy for my Christmas and then coming back to Racha for hers. If I have travel p’uli left after that, I may go to Berlin to meet up with a friend and possibly head north for a few days. We’ll see…

No comments:

Post a Comment