Monday, January 30, 2012

Sonnet 66


Yesterday, I walked into the mountains with Michael. Today, my body feels like it’s made of spaghetti. New muscles! Yay!
After our walk, we went back to his house. His host parents have been a bit upset that he comes to my house so often yet I don’t usually go there. So I went and we ate and drank and read Shakespearian sonnets in Georgian. His host mother asked me to specifically read sonnet 66. She said it’s her favorite. I can’t remember all of it, but the gist is that the world is cruel and unfair. The speaker is pained by this situation and is tempted to seek refuge in death. He resists the temptation because he doesn’t want to leave his love alone to face the world. With lines about censorship and distorted perceptions of justice, the poem was not one that I was expecting someone here to point out as her favorite.
The more I learn the language, the more complicated life here becomes. I’m grateful, but I’m also a little scared. Five months is a long time…although my co-teacher did say today, “Easter is close. It’s only two months away. Of course, Saint Valentine’s day is first. But two months is not a long time because time—however long—runs away quickly.”
After lobio and cake and wine, went home and passed out. That hike really tired me out.
At school today, I made macaroni and cheese for all the teachers. I also taught most of the lessons because my co-teacher took some cold medicine that made her very sleepy. We were both pretty out of it today.
Maguala had asked me to bring eggs home after school. She said she would be making a cake and that I could watch and record the recipe. I’m home now, but she’s not here. I’m just going to read until she gets home. Maybe I’ll go to play practice with her again tonight.
I’m sleepy. And I want a dog to cuddle with.

Sonnet 66:
Tired with all these, for restful death I cry, 
As, to behold desert a beggar born, 
And needy nothing trimm'd in jollity, 
And purest faith unhappily forsworn, 
And guilded honour shamefully misplaced, 
And maiden virtue rudely strumpeted, 
And right perfection wrongfully disgraced,
And strength by limping sway disabled, 
And art made tongue-tied by authority, 
And folly doctor-like controlling skill, 
And simple truth miscall'd simplicity, 
And captive good attending captain ill: 
   Tired with all these, from these would I be gone,
   Save that, to die, I leave my love alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment