Thursday, March 11, 2010

Out of my head...

...and forth to the internet.

On my to do list for the night:
-edit Michelle's essay
-clean the common room
-pack
-make brownies
-read Roald Dahl books
-blog about welcoming in spring with Chuck
-post my Anthropology paper

HOWEVER

None of this can happen yet because my mind is quivering.
I just saw "The Hurt Locker." I had to; the director is the first woman
to have ever won the Oscar for Best Director. While I don't usually pay
attention to such things, I knew I had to see this. Luckily, Hillary felt the
same way.

What to say... I'm disturbed, but very grateful. Having heard that the film
dealt with the psychological effects of war, I was expecting to follow the
lives of different soldiers as they attempted to adjust back to civilian life after
serving in a war. How wrong I was. Instead, I was introduced to the members
of a special operations team trained as bomb technicians. On duty in Iraq, they
find and dismantle bombs, to put it simply. But there was so much more... the
fixation on death, the gamble of an extra risk, the pain of not being able to help,
the fear of vulnerability, the question of loyalty, and the danger of apathy...that
more than anything else. I can't say too much more without spoiling it, but I
was not going to be able to have a productive night without settling my poor
mind. I could never be a soldier, but blessings and protection to all those who are.

The last time I felt this stuck after a movie was after "Waltz with Bashir," another
film about individuals and war. The horror, the horror!

1 comment:

  1. I watched The Hurt Locker on the plane! I agree... it was disturbing and also made me think about Waltz With Bashir in a different light. Hope you made brownies with all-o'-that-butt-a!

    ReplyDelete