Monday, December 27, 2010

"To long for something is a sufficient reason to live." -Jaroslav Vrchlicky

I am too lazy to find pictures of all these pieces, but these are the names of works from the national gallery at Veletrizny palac. This was certainly one of my top 3 museums visited this semester. There was a huge variety of art styles represented in their collections, the building design was conducive to smooth exhibit flow, and even the special exhibit in the entrance (Propaganda posters from Vietnam) left me with a lot to think about.

Anyway, these are the names of the works that I was most struck by. I have pictures of most of them on my Picasa page:
"Spoons" by Tomas Medek
"All Souls Day" by Jakub Schikaneder
"Birch Trees" by Alois Kalvada
"Pilgrim" by Arnost Hofbauer
"I <3 Russian Modernism" by Petr Pisarik
"Village Green" by Karl Schmidt-Rottluff
Slavicek's impressionism

Also worth mentioning, if you're taking the time to look up these artists, were some of the contributors to the show at Bubec's gallery:
Lucie Linhova
Katerina Stenclova
Eliska Jiratova

Suddenly there were two days left until we were supposed to be going home. I took a long walk on my own through a park and the world expo building grounds. I went to the first few minutes of the NYU final club night, thinking I was going to get good food since they spent $2000 to have it catered at a club. What a waste! Where in past years that money has gone towards a nice dinner catered for students and staff so we could visit with our friends and professors in a quiet enviorment one last time before leaving, this year it was spent on an inadequate amount of food at a night club. The professors didn't come and I didn't blame them. After about 10 minutes, I went back to my apartment to write the last of my final papers. Yes, I am that lame.

One of my classes arranged independantly to get coffee with our professor, and I'm glad we had that opportunity to speak with her outside of class this one last time. I learned that NYU doesn't treat their abroad professors well. Since they are wage workers rather than contracted staff, they are not eligable for health benefits, tenure, or (the expats among them) the green card that allows them to start applying for Czech citizenship. And somehow NYU still insists that they turn in their research so that the school can put its stamp on it. Absolutely absurd.

Also absurd? I pulled an all-nighter so that in the morning of the last day Sam and I could watch the sunrise from Charles Bridge. It was snowing so there was no sun to rise.

That snow turned our journey home into quite an epic adventure. Our first flight got cancelled. Then our second flight. We spent a night in the airport hotel, and then our third flight got cancelled. They put us on a fourth, switched airlines (which meant different luggage restrictions so we shuffled bags a bit), flew us to Germany, and informed us as we landed that Frankfurt was closed. We were given a group ticket and told that we should skip check-in so that we wouldn't miss our next flight. We went through security, had a little trouble at border control because our visas were expired (which, according to Czech law, should not have been an issue...the guard obviously didn't know what he was talking about), had to sprint to the gate to catch our next plane... We just made it in time but weren't allowed to board because they had given our seats away when we didn't check in. We asked for help and were sent in circles...three times, four times...until we were finally put on a plane bound for Newark. So we texted our parents that we would be arriving at a different airport than planned a full day later than planned, and eight hours later we were home.

No comments:

Post a Comment