Saturday, June 18, 2011

Life...Ordinary (version Dva/Zwei/Two)

I should mention that on the plane ride home I watched a really enjoyable movie called “Der Ganz Große Traum.” The plot focuses on a teacher who brings soccer to Germany just after the Franco-Prussian war. The movie itself also ties in questions of national identity, class division, and education styles. Now if only I could find it in the U.S. so I could show my sisters…

Being back in the suburbs is…*sigh*…a bit lonely. My one sister graduated high school and the other graduated to her senior driver’s license, meaning that we now are rarely all home together (just like old times). Most of my friends are busy (or gone) due to work and internships and summer courses. I’m interning at the Chester County Historical Society in “collections management.” They’re in the middle of a move, so I spend a lot of time either moving beautiful old objects or documenting and cataloguing said objects. Among the most interesting have been old bank safes, a baby coffin, steps to the headquarters of a locally based pro-slavery Civil War era newspaper, toy swords, a “magic” washing machine, and decorated side saddles. The other interns and I sometimes play “guess what this is” with the old farm tools, and I’ve really been enjoying both the people and the work.

From there I go to my real job, at the same place I’ve worked since high school. The people and the work there are interesting too…I’m keeping very busy, really. But I’ve been feeling very disoriented and almost a little depressed. Guess that’s bound to happen. All semester, my energies are directed towards learning and absorbing as much as I can…so coming home and falling into a predictable routine (with lovely people and practical experience but also with high gas prices and no research focus) just makes me tired. I’ve been watching a lot of movies, reading a lot of books, taking a lot of walks. I spend a lot of time alone or with my dog. Today I thought that I might write a short story. I still might. In the meantime, I’m cherishing the few moments I can manage with real friends and trying my best to find meaning in everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment