Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chame Chame Chame!!!!!!!!!

My first day walking to school! It’s beautiful and I’m so glad to have a chance to exercise. Of course, I’ll have to remember in February when I’m sliding along the path that in this moment I was excited to walk.

We had a few classes today. First were some older students who were using an old textbook that, frankly, makes me cringe by drilling them in “I can’t wait till” and “I am aged 6.” But my co-teacher focused on dictation with them, so if I can help her with pronunciation then maybe I can minimize the problems caused by the books. Then we had two beginner classes and one intermediate beginner class. I’ll hold off on being too critical and say instead that I’m confident I’ll get chances to teach. I just hope someone thinks to send my co-teacher a copy of the students’ book!

After class, she and I were walking home when we ran into a friend of hers. After a brief conversation, they decided we were going to her house. As soon as we were there, the woman went into the kitchen and my co-teacher sat down (gesturing for me to join her) at her friend’s laptop. We skyped her nephew in Tbilisi and she showed me pictures on her [insert name of Russian facebook site???]. It was fun, and I really enjoy spending time with her. Her friend was in the kitchen for some time, and I presumed she was making dinner for when her husband returned home. How foolish of me! I could smell that the fried fish was finished and I was waiting for my co-teacher to suggest we head out…when both women ushered me to the table where a full meal was laid out. Oh Georgian hospitality. Spending time at the table with both of them was fun…even with the language barrier I generally enjoy these kinds of happenings. Which is good because I feel like this may be the beginning of a trend.

When I got home, chemi bebia was making “home-made ketchup” and entertaining a friend (the 80th woman in this village to dub me a “kargi gogo” or “good girl”). I sat with them in the kitchen reading folktales, drinking tea, and listening to them talk. At some point, chemi babua got up from watching “Russian Musicbox” and went outside for a moment. He returned with a pear and silently offered it to me. When I hesitated to accept it, he ordered me to eat (“chame!”). When I took it and started eating, he grunted approvingly. Somehow I understand that this exchange communicates affection. I got so lucky being placed with this family!

In other “noteworthy” news, I asked about two recipes today. Here are their outlines:

1) Tatia’s Rice: Rice, apple pieces, raisins, quinces, and walnuts. Mix with ratio adjusted to personal taste, then cook and serve.

2) “Home-made Ketchup”: Tomatoes, chili pepper, sweet red pepper, apple, salt, garlic. Blend together and adjust seasonings to taste. Slow cook on stovetop for a few hours. Jar for winter.

1 comment: