Thursday, September 29, 2011

"Gogo! Iqia!" ("Girl! There!")


My co-teacher surprised me today by walking into two of our classes, greeting the students, and then turning to me and asking “So what’s our lesson today?” Yikes! I’ve started taking copious notes in each class so I can keep track of what they’re studying. Hopefully I’ll be able to answer next time she springs that question on me. Back at governor’s school, I was told to always have a “back-pocket activity” on hand in case I needed to fill time. It looks like I’m going to need a bag of “back-pocket” lesson plans, suitable for grades 1 through 9 at levels 1 through 6.
Also, my co-teacher doesn’t have answer keys for book exercises (and sometimes she doesn’t have a copy of the book either). I’m going to borrow some books for the weekend and write up answer keys in an attempt to make her life easier. Want to take bets on how long it’ll take me to get through 300 pages of Elementary English exercises? I’m actually pretty curious…
On the way home from school, I realized how much I miss running. I asked my co-teacher if she knew where I could buy a soccerball (a “real football,” as opposed to the American one I brought). We popped in and out of four different shops to ask. At the last shop, her friend asked us to wait while she telephoned the owners of a few other small shops. But no luck. It was an interesting experience, though. So far, my impression of the shops had been that they all carried exactly the same products. I had wondered how there could be so many (so many!) of them…enough that even small-town nepotism couldn’t possibly keep them all in business. Now I know: they count on friends and neighbors hopping from shop to shop in search of small specific things. It felt somewhat like an old Czech story I read once about a woman who would go to one shop and wait in a line for bananas before going to another shop to wait in line for butter.
I didn’t find a soccerball, but I took my American football and went for a walk. I texted the boys I met while walking the other day, and they agreed to meet up to play. First, of course, they had to buy beer and sunflower seeds. Then we played football in a park for a while. Some more of their friends showed up, and they suggested (mind you, they speak no English and I almost no Georgian) we go to the “stadium”—the soccer pitch. There were some kids there already, so we shared the field for a while. The kids had a soccer ball, so eventually we decided to have a match. At that point, Alex—one of the boys—handed me his coat, watch, and cellphone, and he pointed me to the sideline. I was clearly confused, and Giorgi was kind enough to explain, “Gogo!” Girl. I watched them play for a while, amused by the cigarettes in their mouths and the way they would run to the sideline for a sip of beer between plays. Eventually, I understood that “gogo” didn’t mean I was the first to sit out but would be subbed in later; it meant that I wouldn’t get to play at all.
After the game, they walked me home as an entourage. I’m not sure how to feel about it to be honest. Two of the boys asked me to text them over the weekend if I want to throw around the American football. Maybe…

2 comments:

  1. Next time, don't take the stuff, but tell them, "No, I will play." I imagine that would create some controversy! And, when they throw around the American football, do tell them they throw like a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^This is exactly what you should do!

    ReplyDelete