Wednesday, November 2, 2011

"Me Miqvars William Levy" (aka: teaching my students the word "soap opera")


My kids were thrilled that I brought them Halloween candy. But tomorrow is Thursday already and that means that this week is almost over already. Monday was Halloween, and it was also my first day seeing my co-teacher after sending in my monthly report on Friday and having a non-discussion about lesson plans. She’s writing lesson plans, apparently, but only in Georgian. And I haven’t seen them yet. Let’s see how this plays out…
My students have taken to bringing flowers for me, so many days I walk around school with flowers tucked into my hair. Yet again, this probably isn’t doing anything to counter the other teachers’ perception of me as the “little girl,” but it makes the kids very happy. In fact, today my co-teacher and I walked into the first/second/third-grade class and the board was covered with hearts, my name (misspelled and in all caps because we’re still learning the alphabet) and a big picture of me with curly orange hair, wearing a pink dress and carrying a bag (because I always carry a huge bag of books/pencils/chalk/notecards/etc. around school). They were so proud of themselves, too! It was beyond adorable. 
In other news, I’ve started greeting one of my 8th graders as “Sunshine,” and my students now want to play “Bubblegum” and “Ninja” at every break between classes. And one of my classes dictated Georgian words to me because they didn’t believe that I knew the alphabet; then they complimented my penmanship. And people from the resource center came in to check on the school today, but I had class so I didn’t get to ask them when the rest of our textbooks will be in (I know the answer, but I keep hoping that if I keep asking…).
Fantastically hilarious: today I wore a few braids in my hair after the style of the female lead in the soap-opera everyone seems to watch. I cannot tell you how many people complimented me on them. I had internet during the show this evening, so I looked it up on Wikipedia for kicks. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triunfo_del_Amor_(telenovela) 
The male lead looks a little familiar, which is uncomfortable at times, but people make a social event out of watching this show together so I figured I should read a plot summary…as amusing as listening to the Georgian dubbing is. I learned nothing about the show, but I did learn that William Levy (yes, I actually know the actor’s name) also stars in Jennifer Lopez’ music video for “I’m Into You.” You should go watch that now…
I have been doing productive things too. I come home from school and sit in the kitchen. Have lunch with babua. Prepare outlines and notes for my classes. Get bored. Switch to working on my colloquium, reading Georgian folktales in translation, or studying Georgian. Watch the news with babua and bebia. Have dinner with Eka. Work more until the soap opera starts, watch the soap opera with the family, half-work while they watch Russian music videos, and then go to my room to stretch a bit before bed. I’m dying for some hard physical activity, but even with Eka’s blessing there’s really nowhere I can go running or hiking where I won’t run into people and set them whispering. So I do yoga stretches in my room and dream of buying a jump rope someday when I go to a city. Of course, the food is all delicious and mostly healthy. I’ve learned to strategically eat so that I don’t end up overly-full even at supras…but I have to say I’m a little worried about next week because both home and school are planning supras for my birthday. Holy khachapuri!

No comments:

Post a Comment