Friday, November 4, 2011

On being a "very important guest"


Today, bebia played piano and sang with me. Then she told me how she thinks my hair looks best. I’m braiding it up in the morning!
Surprise: we have 5 guests moving in Sunday. They’ll be here for a month…which means (among many many other things) 5 extra people at my birthday dinner. BUT Eka’s still the only one I’ll be able to talk to. I’m amused and excited.
Yesterday, I went to the market with Eka before school. I watched the butcher unload his meat from his truck onto hooks...he pulled out the head just as I was noticing the hooves on a table. Can’t say I was feeling very hungry after that one.
Also yesterday, I went out walking with a friend in the evening and was followed by the police. Again… I asked at home and was told “You’re under police control. You’re a guest and an important one so they want to make sure no one gives you any problems. Don’t worry, though. They aren’t controlling you; they’re controlling the situation.” I’m trying to convince myself that this sounds as unsettling as it does only because of translation details.
But then today, as I was standing at the car-stop with my co-teacher (we usually pause here on our way home), a young police officer approached me and introduced himself. Much to my amusement, he said, “I hear you like horses…” and then offered to try to find some. He wants me to teach the police English, which I would be more than happy to do. He also offered to show me around Oni municipality, take me to Oni’s museum, accompany me to Kut’aisi...His friend came up and asked if I wanted to come with them for khinkali. When I declined, they offered me a ride home in the police truck. 
I guess it's nice to have security. I've always wondered if people who have bodyguards make friends with them. Guess I'll find out...

No comments:

Post a Comment