Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve in Istanbul


We’ve been saving our trip to Topkapi Palace for a rainy day. Today is Christmas Eve, and I was surprised to wake up to snow this morning. The snow soon let up, and it began to rain ever so lightly. So off we went to the palace…
I was delighted. I think this is the first place we’ve been that was enough of a museum that I could learn something about the history of the buildings while admiring them. It is also the first place we’ve been where Eka was very interested. We walked in with two tall men wearing turbans and two men in suits whom I think were their body-guards. A few people took pictures of them, and I can’t help but wonder if they were politicians I don’t know. We walked around a huge yard, trying to figure out how to avoid being in the galleries while the school groups were in them. First we went into a room where the sultan’s advisors used to meet before reporting to him. Then we began going through a series of treasuries. The craftsmanship was incredible. There was so much gold and there were so many diamonds, emeralds, and rubies! The bejeweled sultans’ possessions included a suit of armor, weapons, writing boxes, flasks, candlesticks, a bow and arrow, a cradle, thrones, flasks…and of course jewelry. My favorite piece actually was not made of gold, and it didn’t have many jewels. It was a throne made of dark wood and inlaid with mother-of-pearl. It was stunning. I should say that many pieces in the collection were not made in Turkey. They were either pieces stolen in wars or pieces given as gifts to the royal family.
There was one special treasury gallery that I’m still not sure how to feel about. The doorway was elaborately decorated, and there was a sign (next to the usual “no pictures” sign) asking that visitors please dress appropriately. It was the treasury of relics. If I’m to believe what I read, we saw Moses’ staff, Abraham’s turban, body parts of different saints, pieces of Muhammad’s beard and Muhammad’s swords. I have no reason not to believe, really, but I never in my life expected to walk into a palace museum and find myself staring at Moses’ staff. I’m just not sure how to process such a thing. This gallery was decorated the whole way through, and there was a man reading verses from the Koran into a microphone. His voice echoed through the different rooms of the gallery, even over the voices of all of the visitors (and there were many).
After the treasury of relics, we walked through the armory and then through a gallery dedicated to Sultans’ clothing made from Italian fabrics. We finished up with the sun still shining brightly overhead, so we walked out through part of the palace garden. I would love to see this garden in the summer. The part we saw was lovely even without the flowers. And even more than missing flowers, I just miss walking through parks. In Oni, I can walk through nature (with a man or with a handful of stones in case I meet a bear or a bride-napping party, or so I’m advised). I can sit under the grapevines in the garden at our house. But I miss being in a park, where I can read and people-watch and maybe chance to meet a friend. It’s different. There’s no need for it in Oni, but still…
Then we went off to a shopping mall in search of Eka’s favorite Turkish clothing store. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a mall. As if I needed a reminder that I hate shopping. At least being with Eka while she shops in interesting because she’s good company. But really…I hate malls.
We were home pretty early, but I facebooked Yavuz. He agreed to meet us for coffee, and we had a really great time together. He was very curious about Georgia and its language. We talked about the US and about all the places we’ve lived (combined, we’ve lived in 7 countries and speak just as many languages). We talked about university systems and history and food...it was so refreshing to have intellectually stimulating conversation again.
When Eka and I went back to our hotel, we watched “Heartbreaker,” which was a really cute French romantic comedy about a man who breaks-up couples for a living. She likes those goofy romantic dramas that I usually have no patience for, but we don’t get to watch movies often in Oni so having movie-time together each night is really nice. Then I sent a few emails (I so appreciate internet access!), and we went to bed before midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment