Thursday, December 1, 2011

Ras vipikrob...



The other night, I went out the front door to go to the downstairs shower, and there was a dog sitting on the step staring at me. I recognized him as the dog that usually sits in the street outside our house because Jumberi throws him bread. Still, it was strange to see him at our door, because the yard is walled in and both gates were closed. I stepped over him and just chuckled to myself, but apparently the dog is a bit of a problem. He’s Jumberi’s dog, and so the kind man likes to let him into the yard when there is snowy weather. He doesn’t like to see the dog sleeping in the snow on the street. However, his wife hates dogs and his daughter has a rule that no dogs are allowed in her house or its yard. I’m the only one who ever sides with Jumberi…poor man. There was a bit of an argument, and then he shuffled outside to chase away the dog, grinning to himself as both women yelled after him. Oh my.
There are these cars around town that I have been calling jeeps, to my co-teacher’s dismay. After this morning, I will never make that mistake again. My co-teacher pulled up to the car-stop in the passenger seat of one of these cars, and she waved for me to climb in. I’m pretty sure the whole car was just the tires, the metal frame, the windshield, and the engine. This was a bare-minimum vehicle. But, it sped through the snow and up the icy mountain road to my school with no trouble at all. I was impressed. My co-teacher told me again that these cars are stronger than jeeps. We’ve decided to say that they’re jeeps’ Russian cousins. I think I like them.
Because today is December 1st, there was a special presentation at school about “SPIDS.” Though the transliteration of the Georgian acronym is actually “ShPIDS,” it is pronounced “speeds.” Of course, this is the Georgian acronym for AIDS. I was interested to hear what they would say in a presentation about AIDS in my small and rather religious school. The 7-9th graders gathered in the biology room, and the biology teacher gave an introduction. She had students read about what SPIDS is and how it is acquired. She had students read about what its symptoms are and where there are high occurrences of it. I didn’t understand everything, but I understood the part where she said it started with people eating bad meat in Africa. She mentioned that it can be spread through use of dirty needles and through homosexuality (although I didn’t hear mention of the fact that it can be spread through sex between heterosexual couples too…maybe more relevant in a place where visiting prostitutes is common for many men). She warned the girls that they should be careful when they get manicures, and she warned the boys not to share cigarettes. Then she surprised me by saying that there is a very high occurrence of SPIDS/AIDS in Sanmagrello… a place I’ve heard is quite the tourist destination here.
After all the children left, Matsatso and I were waiting in the classroom. I noticed that one of our 8th graders had left his jacket hanging on the door. He’s got a very relaxed personality and a good sense of humor, so I knew he wouldn’t mind if we played a prank on him. On top of one of the huge cabinets in the back of the classroom, there is a plastic mannequin used for talking about human organs. Matsatso climbed up and put Vaja’s jacket onto the mannequin, tucking one sleeve into the pocket to mimic the way Vaja usually stands. It was fabulous. Then we left for another class on the same floor, making sure that we were close-by when the 9th graders discovered the prank and ran to tell Vaja. They kept saying to each other “Maybe Babuna (the gym teacher) was here…” and I had to focus very hard on not laughing and giving us away. Part of me does hope they figure out eventually that it was us, because that’s part of the fun. It was pretty great.
The reason we were able to stay on the first floor for so many lessons was that our upstairs classrooms were being decorated for New Years. The kids put up New Years trees, paper chains, paper snowflakes, and “Happy New Year!” signs. The classrooms look great, although it is funny to ask them about Christmas decorations and have them instinctually translate “Christmas” to “New Years.”
On the street after school, a man called out to my co-teacher. He was staring at me rather intently, and he asked her if I am the new German teacher. She said no as she kept walking, and I could tell by her mannerisms that she just wanted him to go away. Apparently, he’s the father of one of our students, and at 1 pm he was wandering the streets wasted out of his mind. No wonder the poor kid has problems in school…
Instead of going home with my co-teacher again, I went off to try again to search for Michael. I went to his house, and this time Ana answered when I called. So I met her, but she said Michael was still at school. She also said that I was beautiful and should visit her house anytime I want. But I politely excused myself and went off to Oni’s school. I walked inside and wandered around looking for someone to ask for help. I didn’t see anyone, but I did get to see how huge the school is (compared to mine, that is). Then, I ran into Michael on the street, so that worked out after all.
We walked a bit, and then I took him to Keti’s house. I had told her I would come and help her build her puppet theater. We walked in as she was trying to figure out how to break through a board without a real saw. It took the three of us, an ax, a chisel, a hammer, and an almost-saw to get the job done. Then we went upstairs to sit and talk and eat. I really enjoy her company, and she is the only one here who understands how uncomfortable I am sitting while a hostess prepares piles of food (that she probably can’t afford to waste but that we probably won’t eat half of). It’s refreshing to be able to talk about politics and religion and relationships…to have complex conversations with people who understand my language and the culture that I come from. The hardest part is always extracting myself so that I can get home early enough to keep Maguala happy.
This time, Keti told us the story of how she and her children moved to London. But I want her permission before I post about it.
There’s an exercise in the 8th grade textbooks where students are supposed to decide whether words are the same or different. One of the sets of words was “to escape” and “to run away.” Instinctually, I think they are the same, and then I think a little harder and realize that most of my students’ parents would actually say that they are different, because one implies honor and daring while the other implies cowardice and abandonment of those who couldn’t leave. Keti said her son used to have nightmares every night about bombs and tanks, because of the war here. Even when they left, he had nightmares every night for years. Even now, she said, he yells in his sleep sometimes, calling for her because there are bombs. These are the kinds of stories that tear at my heart, but I think they’re the ones that most need telling. Or hearing.
On a slightly more cheerful note, Keti said that the government wants to turn her parents’ house into a museum. This would be great, because someone would finally have the means to properly archive her father’s manuscripts. On the other hand, the private house would become property of the government. As much as she supports the president, she isn’t sure she wants to turn over care of her childhood home (and her mother’s current home) to the government. Either way, renovation of the house will begin in the spring.
Michael walked me home, and then I joined the family here for orange cake. At night, Lasha and I were talking about things we want for our lives. He wants to study English for a few months by living in an English-speaking country, if he can get a visa. Then he wants to climb the corporate ladder, and in 2 or 3 years he wants to start a family. He was a bit shocked when I said that I would be happiest with a living wage doing something I like, that I don’t want to be a housewife and finding a husband is really not my first priority. He said that maybe I am thinking like this now because I am young, but that in 3 or 4 years I will have to change my mind. Because I need a husband so that I can have children to give my life purpose and care for me when I’m old. He also thinks it would be better for me to live with my parents until I get married than for me to be here living so far away totally alone. I’m realizing that, along with fear of cold, the fear of being alone shapes many aspects of Georgian life here.
One more quick observation, this time a linguistic one: people keep telling me that English is an analytical language. We need to know what is brother climbing, who something was told to, and why Aunt Rhody was saving that old grey goose. We have different verb forms for action that happened before now and for action that happened before the action that happened before now. If you know English, you can follow that sentence and it makes sense. We instill word placement with absolute purpose: “Manana bit a dog” is different from “A dog bit Manana.” We also put huge importance on our prepositions: “I am (a) school” is hugely different from “I am at school.” Georgian has the same word for “bored” and “sad,” for “must/should” and “he/she/it wants,” for “to the balcony” and “on the balcony.” In short, they’re linguistically prepared for ambiguity and uncertainty (which goes well with icy mountain roads, polychromic time, and dual-calendars). We, on the other hand (especially North-Eastern US natives) want precise details and careful plans. If German trains its speakers to pay attention (listening for the verb at the end…which Georgian has, too) and English trains its speakers to always give all the details, Georgian perhaps trains its speakers to expect surprises and uncertainty as normal. Is this training in duality something that has helped them keep their culture alive despite having the cultures of various occupiers imposed on them? I wonder… 

No comments:

Post a Comment