Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Istanbulshi vart!


Flew to Istanbul. The flight was nice and easy, but Eka was upset because she was hung-over and the weather was rainy. What do I even say to that? She said she doesn’t find the people here interesting (already?). I’m worried; this city interests me very much and I want to enjoy this holiday. If I can be optimistic after being groped as soon as we got onto the tram from the airport, then surely she can deal with a hangover and give the city a chance.
We were really early at the hotel, but Eka was tired so the nice man working at the desk let us go upstairs for coffee and breakfast while we waited for our room. Then he got us into our room an hour early, which I appreciated. When we got to our room, I showered while Eka napped. Then I enjoyed finally having internet while she continued to nap.
Our hotel is called “Deniz Houses” and we both rather like it. I suppose our room is a bit loud if you’re the kind of traveler who isn’t dead-tired when you return to the hotel at the end of the day…but since we both sleep very soundly, the train outside doesn’t bother us much. We like the breakfast and the Wi-Fi; we like the hot water and the kind people and the view of the sea. The room was cheap and the hotel is just behind the Blue Mosque. What more could we ask for?

Ghame
When Eka woke up we went out walking… We walked along the water for quite some time. To our left was an old city wall, and to our right were a highway and the Sea of Marmara (then the Bosporus). We had a nice walk as I got my bearings. Eka can’t navigate by landmarks, memory, or the sun, so I’m going to have to learn my way around quickly in order to become our navigator. Pretty sure I can do it.
We walked through the Spice Bazaar for a little while, and I think Eka liked it. She’s a bit down on Turkey—on the people and the language and Istanbul—but she likes the shops and she likes when the shop-keepers ask if she’s Italian. Maybe she’ll warm up to this place.
The favorite game of the shop-keepers here seems to be “Where are you from?” For Eka, they keep guessing Turkish, Spanish and Italian. For me they usually guess French, but one man did guess Romanian. I’m (for some reason) amused and pleased when people can’t immediately pick me out as American. It’s nice to be able to blend in a bit. The poor shopkeepers also like to guess how Eka and I came to be travelling together. They can’t decide if we’re sisters or if she’s my mother…
We found a salad restaurant for dinner. I’m still feeling a little sick, but with the walking and the fresh veggies (and the lack of bread/wine/vodka/fried things) I’m sure I’ll feel better soon. Da ra kargi iqneba!
The muezzin just sounded the call to prayer. Eka asked me what the English word for muezzin is, and I responded that we don’t have one so we use the Arabic word. Like we do for “marshutka.” She then informed me that “marshutka” is actually derived from the Russian word “marshut” which means “way.” I'm so glad to be learning. I’m excited. Please let this go well! Please please!
There’s a “learn English” program on television. It’s actually pretty good; Georgia should consider making something like it. I’d be willing to help…

No comments:

Post a Comment